Phoebe Alice Maud and James Albert Claude Freeman were born May 17th, 1887 in Oscoda County, Michigan. Maud was born first by a few minutes. The twins were children of Emery Edwin and Martha Ann (Alexander) Freeman. The family had relocated from Isabella County up to the forests so that Emery could log. There were a total of eight children born: Nellie May, Irene died in infancy, Tyna also died in infancy, the twins, Louis Elmer, George R.D., and Martha Fay. The photo on the right is shown left to right: Claude, Louis, Nellie and Maud taken in Michigan about ca 1893. This photo was prior to the family moving from the woods of Michigan and taking up homesteads in Fallon, Nevada. The twins were about 16 years old. Most likely photographed in 1903. Maud first married in 1907 and had one daughter who died at the age of three in 1913. She married a total of 5 times and adopting a son along the way. She died 5th of March, 1981 in Atascadero, California. Claude married 1st in 1917 to Myra Grace Batten and had one son who is still living. Marriage to Etta May Smalley in 1923 produced 8 children with two of them twin boys that died at birth in 1930. My father was the second son who has sinced passed away. Claude passed away August, 1976. This photo was taken in the 1950's. I feel very fortunate that I own these pictures, I so enjoy the baby picture and how cute they were. Claude had such a thick head of wavy hair that my Dad inherited it, plus my daughter and I! Let's keep those genes going! I only met my Grandfather a very few times in my life, but he lived through a changing time in America and he loved to tell stories about the "old days". Aunt Maud being the family historian, kept a calendar and notes of all the family events which my mother copied. It helped tremendously and her information was 99% accurate!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness you're lucky to have these photos! I really enjoyed reading about the family and looking at the related pictures. Thanks, Delia!

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

What a great treasure trove of family photos, Delia! Thanks for sharing them.

Lisa
100 Years in America
Small-leaved Shamrock
A light that shines again
Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture

Anonymous said...

Great old photos! My husband gets very excited when he gets an old photo to work on. The tools in Photoshop lets him get very close to how the image would have first appeared. Although, there is a case for leaving them as you found them...