Recently, due to the postings of bloggers regarding Ancestry, I have been contemplating on my "wish list" on the content I would like to see. First of all, I am a huge fan of this subscription website. I still pinch myself that I can go online and actually access the entire US Census and some States Censuses. I found ancestors in places that would have never been located otherwise. Among other things are the Military records with the pension files which I was able to order from NARA. (Since they raised their prices to a full file of $75.00 I haven't ordered). Of course there are things about it that I don't care for such as the content that they have been adding for the last couple of months. My research is still in the U.S. and I don't have much desire at the moment to venture across the ocean several centuries back! There is still alot here that can be posted. I do realize that they must meet the needs of their other subscribers as well. The family trees portion makes me cringe....the repeating of errors posting after posting! I try not to be so arrogant, but some of the corrections/answers can be easily obtained by just a couple of clicks. So to get back to my wish list: 1. New York State Census Records in full! 2. Easier access to the Revolutionary Rolls by index. 3. Vital Record images. 4. Wills/Probate Records. 5. Complete Mortality Records. I will stop here, I don't want to be too greedy!

2 comments:

Andrea Christman said...

I am with you on the New York State Census records being available online! My husband's family is predominently, if not solely, from that state and that is a nice dream!

Greta Koehl said...

I agree with your "yays" and "not-so-yays" for Ancestry. And like you, I'd like to see materials on wills and probate records. I get a lot out of it, but the family trees don't help much. The latest thing that they've added that has helped me a lot are the South Carolina Death Certificates.